By STEPHEN MATTHEWS FOR MAILONLINE
A Hispanic man died after developing sepsis when his fresh tattoo wound became infected from swimming in the sea.
The unidentified 31-year-old ignored advice given to those with new inkings that they should wait for two weeks before venturing into pools or oceans.
Instead, he decided to venture into the warm waters in the Gulf of Mexico just five days after obtaining a religious cross on his right calf.
But because his wound was still fresh, it became contaminated with a flesh-eating bacteria that tore chunks out of his skin and ultimately led to his death.