By Yasmin Jeffery
A TODDLER died after waiting three days for life-saving surgery — because hospital bosses focused on tackling waiting list targets over emergency operations, surgeons have claimed.
20-month-old Kayden Urmston-Bancroft died after suffering a heart attack after the delay for the urgent operation last year.
His mother held him in her arms when his life support machine was turned off.
Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital has since admitted they “failed” the 20-month-old.
But surgeons at the hospital have told the BBC the tot’s death was avoidable, and said hospital bosses had been informed about the shortage of operating theatres.
The hospital trust has apologised to Kayden’s family, following his death on April 17 2016.
His mother, Shannon Bancroft, 20, from Stockport, said: “All the family was there and my mum was reading him Mr Men stories.
“I had Kayden put on my lap and then the ventilator tube was taken out.
“My mum knelt down at the side of me so that she could put her hand to his chest and feel his heart.
“My mum then told me that his heart had stopped beating and that he had passed away.”