A neglected toddler died after his addict parents repeatedly gave him the heroin substitute methadone ‘like Calpol’, a court heard today.
Jayden-Lee Green, 23 months, died after being given a last fatal, adult-sized dose of the drug by his heroin-using father Jamie Green, 33.
Green and Jayden-Lee’s mother Sonia Britton, 35, did not discover his body until at least five hours later because they were groggy and hungover after binging on vodka and drugs.
Both had deliberately given little Jayden-Lee the liquid for up to eight months before his death – which was caused either by one fatal dose or a build-up of methadone in his system.Police found a small measuring cup with traces of methadone on it, which the parents used to administer doses to Jayden when he was ‘grisly’.Green was jailed for nine years today at Bristol Crown Court, after a jury of six women and six men unanimously found he had administered the fatal and previous doses and was guilty of manslaughter.
Crack cocaine and heroin addict Britton was cleared of manslaughter but jailed for four years after the jury convicted her of allowing a child to die and administering methadone to her son.
Both parents wept in the dock as the verdicts were returned – with Green telling jurors ‘you’re wrong’ as they left the court.